Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: Let Courtesy & Respect Reign Supreme

Validation. I like it. It puts a smile on my face. The snarky kind. The "I told you I'm not a raving lunatic" kind of smile. Apparently, the UK also has work to do in the courtesy department.

It is true that I gush snarkiness like a geyser gushes water. But, it is also true that my heart is soft. (Remember from posts past...I am an Oxymoron.) And while I sincerely believe the world is clearly going to hell in a handbasket, I also believe in the goodness of people. I know we can restore the long-lost, sorely missed decencies of common courtesy and respect. Nevermind that the vast majority of our world's population is comprised of completely oblivious idiots. If the rest of us work together, we can do this.

Kudos to Mr. Michael Deacon of Telegraph.co.uk blogs. So cool, the way I gain validation from a guy who doesn't even know I exist. Obviously, there are brazen assaults on politeness and courtesy taking place each day. But, Mr. Dean's words made me feel less lonely in my desire to stand firm against these assaults. I know you're busy, but his article is worth your time.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I really like what your English "friend" had to say, and I agree wholeheartedly!

Rudeness really has become commonplace. These days young men don't even offer a pregnant woman their seat. When I was young and pregnant (lo, so many years ago...) I was ALWAYS offered a seat on the train. Women also used to let me go to the front of the line at a restroom when I was pregnant. I doubt you'd see much of that today.

So...hear, hear to Mr. D (and to you for quoting him)!

Unknown said...

Gosh, that was well written. If England is that rude, imagine how bad he would think it is here. I didn't see one person using a cell phone or ipod the entire time I was in England...London and countryside. But as soon as I came home, I noticed everywhere I went someone was on their cell phone...talking aloud in the grocery line on their phone...sitting in restaurants on their laptops...not communicating with anyone around them.
It was a huge shock to me. I didn't see that at all there but it was an eyeopener how terribly rude we Americans are.
I hope my kids have good manners and will use them.