Friday, September 5, 2008

Who Is Snarky Belle?

Born and raised in the South, I was surrounded by great women. To this day, they embody every particle of the oxymoron, "Steel Magnolia". Women capable of withstanding life's greatest tragedies while maintaining grace and charm. Depending on the circumstance, these women are either the most gentle of creatures, or the fiercest that nature has to offer. Independent, without losing their vulnerability. Feminine and feisty.

Entering adulthood, I wasn't always comfortable taking on the qualities of a Steel Magnolia. My gentleness was flawed, which opened the door to a lot of hurt. But I could also be extremely fierce, and in doing so, pushed people away. There were times I was entirely too vulnerable, followed by periods of destructive independence. I was never really comfortable in my own skin.

My life's experiences changed all that for me. Over the years, I've become very comfortable being myself. This spot, my blog, is all about being set free. I pretty much say it like it is....like it is to me. I am nothing if not honest about how I feel. Some days, you will find a feisty spitfire venting about how messed up this world is. Another day, you will find a mother, just making it the best she knows how. I am a wife, daughter, sister, and friend. I've been married almost 17 years. I have three children on this earth, and one who soars with the angels.

I'm snarky. Lately I've noticed the word snarky getting a lot of bad press. But, it's who I am. Sarcastic, usually due to irritation. I don't think snarky is necessarily a bad thing. It keeps me sane and upbeat on days that I see this country going to hell in a handbasket. I like to have fun with the snarkiness. It makes me laugh. You, on the other hand, may find it annoying. You may not find me the least bit entertaining. Lucky for you, you don't have to read.

I am also a belle. I have been taught grace and charm. That's not to say I'm all that great at either of those things, but I try. I love easily. I'm loyal and would fight to the death for those I love. I feel compassion and sorrow for others. In my life I've felt a multitude of disappointments. For a long while, I resided in the deepest, darkest pit of despair, and was comfortable there. Ultimately, and after years of hard work, I have found peace. My life has its share of stresses and trials, but far more joy and good times.

This blog is about life. It's probable that our lives differ greatly. We may not always agree. If I tried, I could not care less about whether or not you agree with all that I say. That's the beauty of being set free. Our circumstances help mold us. Because yours and mine are not the same, obviously we see this world through different eyes. That works for me.

I fully expect that if you come into my spot, you use courtesy and treat everyone here with respect. And if you leave me a nasty comment, I'll only care for 60 seconds max, and then I'll forget you even exist...I'm just sayin', you may prefer to spend your energy elsewhere. Spend it on someone who will remember you are even on this planet...that someone really isn't me.

This blog is about freedom. The freedom to be comfortable in our own skin. Setting ourselves free from stereotypes, unattainable ideals, political correctness, grief, pain, frustrating days with our kids, harsh self-judgements, and anything else that weighs us down. Let it go. Fly free, live, and love. Sometimes more snarky than belle, and sometimes more belle than snarky. We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings.

8 comments:

Penny said...

Love the new look!
You ARE your Mother's daughter and that is a
great compliment.
Wonderful to have you
back sharing your thoughts.

kim said...

I found this completely by accident and I have to tell you, it looks almost exactly like something I would have written. It's very strange to see someone so like me, that says things that I say, and that (from what I read) behaves just like me. How comforting for me. Thank you for sharing.

Kim

Mel said...

Just found you... LOVE IT! Def. going to bookmark you! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, I am very excited to find you blog...keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Is your mother's name Cathy and lived in Cordova, Tenn?

Snarky Belle said...

Yes Kay....are you Kay Pierce?

Unknown said...

girl!! why have you not shared this before?? (or was I just not paying attention!!) Love it and will be back...H :-)

jen said...

Natalie,
I was going through my blog reader and came across your address. Don't know if you're blogging elsewhere these days or on Facebook, but thought I'd drop you a hick comment since you do t have email on here anywhere.
I miss your posts and your friendship. Hope all is well in the Deep South. Look me up on Facebook if you get a chance.